Advertisement

Sheets- face cutout? Hrm.

topic posted Wed, May 18, 2005 - 10:18 PM by  B-Qat
Share/Save/Bookmark
So I picked up a massage table tonight, for really cheap (it's a good table though- the woman just didn't know how much they are worth, and she liked me), but instead of a real "face cradle", it has just a cutout on the table itself.

Hrm. This might be a dumb question, but are there sheets that work with that, or do I have to get creative and get standard sheets and whip out the sewing machine to DIY hole?

I haven't been to massage school yet (end of the month, and then you'll hopefully stop getting these dumb questions from me!), so that's why I'm asking ya'll.

Thanks!!!

Oh, and where CAN you get sheets/drapes cheaply, in the SF Area?
posted by:
B-Qat
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

oh yeah,
    that is an older style of table, or a chiropractic. When you get into practice you might want to purchase a more modern table. One of my personal pet peeves is massage therapists cutting corners on clients needs (smelly sheets, old table, non soft tables.) It makes all of us look bad and like it or not we have a responsibility to the whole. And a little secret, if you provide good materials to give the massage on clients wont think twice about rates. I would say scissors and sewing machine for your starter table. Best of luck at school. Harbin?
    warmly zeke
    • Well, the table is exceedingly well made, from a reputable brand, VERY comfortable, and doesn't have any defects (AND was basically new, and the same model is still sold).

I can't see how I'm "cutting corners" by using something that will work well and for the purpose it was intended. You don't necessarily have to pay a ton of money, if you can find something that will work equally well, that you happened to find a bargain on, due to circumstances.

Thanks.
      • Unsu...

-some clients will feel clausterphobic sticking thier face in a hole.
        -some clients will want to get a massage on a massage table not a chiropractic one
        -lots of neck manipulation is helped by having an adjustable face cradle, you cant adjust a hole.
        Heather money invested in massage will reap huge returns and with that said I am sure you will do well with whatever you work on. The bargin massage equation is one that all of us therapists struggle with especially those of us lacking rich spouses, dot com millions, or corporate golden parachutes. I have just found making incisive investments reaps benifits and I am for client comfort and cleanliness in my work materials and clientsappreciate it after all they are paying upwards of 80 dollars an hour and deserve luxury. Bargins beget bargin prices. Its a vicious cycle or a tragicomedy. I don't like being poor and like my work and care to be appreciated. Other feel different . . .
        www.zekesbodyworks.com/reviews.html
  • If your table has two holes in one end of it you should be able to find a face cradle that will work with it. Maybe you could order one from the manufacturer. I think that would be easier. Chiropractors use tables like the one you have with no sheets and just put some paper of the cut out area since the client is dressed. One problem that I have faced when buying bargain tables is they are two narrow. Once I got busier I found that I needed a wider table to handle larger clients. It is no fun to massage someone who doesn't have room for their arms on the table. I get my sheets at Bed Bath and Beyond, I just use single bed size, but don't go too cheap because cheap sheets are rough and scratchy
  • Unsu...

Hi, HeatherLyn,

I'm not only a massage therapist, my wife & I own a small retail massage therapy supply shop. Despite what others are telling you, the face cutout is available on massage tables from just about every one of the big manufacturers, and (especially in combination with breast and stomach recesses) is being heavily marketed as the next big thing in the trade. So, your table may not be an antique chiropractic table, but may be a trendy new model.

Now, where do you get linens? That's a real good question and is one of the reasons we haven't really been pushing this particular option in our store. I'd suggest contacting the table manufacturer to start. One suggestion I've heard is to loosen the top end of the fitted sheet as you turn the client over and kind of wrap that around the hole. Doesn't sound like a really good solution to me, but there you go! Now, as to cheap linens. While you're in school just about anything will work-go to your local Value Village/Salvation Army, etc. etc. Any old twin sheet will work. But once you get out in the trade, it's a different ballgame. I save my money and buy the best sheets I can find: nothing less than 210 count all cotton. I really believe my clients can tell the difference, & I want the best for them. And if they're truly the best, they don't hold oil and last. I have a couple of sets that are working on being 4 years old and are just now starting to hold stains.

Congrats on your new table, congrats on entering school, and keep the 'dumb' questions coming.
    • Nice. I agree with you on the sheets. I used nice sheets in school, and many of my clinical practicum clients commented on them.

Here's a question: although I don't like how normal fitted sheets look on the table (all baggy), I found that I preferred them to "massage table sheets"... the latter often came right off the table when the client was turning over!

Anyone else have a preference or a secret way to keep massage table-sized sheets on correctly?
      • I like flannel sheets: they keep clients warm on colder days. I buy them at costco, ross or bed bath and beyond. They feel really nice~
        • Unsu...

Heather there is nothing bad about your massage table. I know just as many people that find adjustable face cradles uncomfortable as the holes in the tables. Many high quality massage tables have the face holes in them (an option with Earthlite) and they make special sheets to fit them. Try these sites:
          www.ovaltable.com/sheetsCovers.htm
          massageresources.com/accessories.php

I would also try contacting Earthlite and the MassageWarehouse.com to see if they sell the sheets and just aren't listed for some reason. It's odd that they would sell the tables and not the sheets for them.

Good luck!
          • Jessika:

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out, my particular table didn't come with the "plug" to plug the hole for when the client's on their back... so I have to find one of THOSE first. Sigh.

It might just be easier to get another one, and use this one for burning man or something.

• Unless this table came real cheap and is crappy otherwise... it's not hard to make a new filler out of some dense foam rubber cut to fit.

Actually might be more convenient, especially if you have older or infirm clients who have enough trouble turning over, let alone the scootdown.

It would be cool if you made a piece you could insert from underneath while they were turning over....

....I'm just talkin...
              • Unsu...

the sad thing about this link is that of course people will come to Heatherlyn she is bueatiful young and getting her training at Harbin. So she will feel vindicated when she gets a bunch of clients and the clients, who are almost always polite and subservient, will no comment on how uncomfortable the table is. I think lots of time in massage therapy those of us who are young, magnetic and bueatiful do not have to examine or choices of how much effort we put into a massage, wether are sheets are clean, or if or table is substandard. I have done massage since I was 23 and have never had trouble getting compliments about looks, energy, or booking massage. Because of this I have worked doubly hard to make sure that I am providing a quality bodywork experience. As for Patrick, i am gonna take a leap here, but I bet you do not do your massage on a trendy new table that has a hole in it. I know you gotta sell product but come on how about a little honesty,
                zeke
                • Hulo all, I love this tribe by the way. All the folks I went to school with haven gone anywhere with the training so folks to kick ideas and stuff around with are hard to find here in the desert. Now for pointers on a good hand job..... I digress.

It sounds like a good table bought as discount prices Heather. The good news it will get you thru school. I have used a table like the one that you are discribing and the feedback that I got all too often was that it made folks feel clausrtophobic (sp?) like the couldn't breathe and generally weren't as comfortable as they were on the other tables tha tI came by with more open face cradles to the really open face cradles. THe second bit of good news is that school is the best place for you to get another table and I don't mean from the school. Buy it from a former student who has decided for what ever reason that they are not goin to continue in this path. You can often get good tables for low prices and help another person on thier way in the process. I personally find that it's good to always have a backup table just in case some thing happens to the one that you are using. Good luck with the sheets. I just bought Jersy sheets and used the sewing machine at home, still buy jersy sheets no modification needed now tho.
                  Good luck!

Recent topics in "Massage Therapy & Bodywork"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
do you discuss modesty during intake? Andrew 32 August 10, 2014
draping laws questions sinecure 53 August 10, 2014
draping and new massage ethics sandy 17 August 10, 2014
HOW TO Build Your Own Sound Healing Massage Table Unsubscribed 1 May 19, 2014